Thursday, December 29, 2011

Some 2011 Editorial Cartoons

Time flies, so to speak. I remember that it was during this time last year that I though of my resolutions for the coming year. One of them was to improve my craft. But as usual, it was not that easy. Reviewing my works, I could not say I succeeded in improving them. So guess what? It will be one of my resolutions for 2012. By the way, happy new year and hope you will have a very fruitful new year. Year 2012 is an exciting year for all of us. Well, for me. And no, it has nothing to do with the Mayan Calendar. LOL. This current year, 2011, is good to us (my family) and perhaps to some Filipinos. Although not all are lucky this year if we talk about some issues and tragic events which hit some people and the country in general. The latest of course was Sendong that brought so much miseries to other fellowmen in Iligan City, Zamboanga del Norte, Cagayan de Oro City, Negros Oriental, etc. Lately, the flashflood in Bukidnon, etc. Those were bad news really. The good news is that there are good Filipinos everywhere who helped the victims by donating. Other countries also gave their donations to the victims. I saw it on tv that the United Nations also sent their assistance to the evacuees. Prayers I know were also outpouring for the victims to recover from this tragedy and that they would realize that life must go on. Anyways, we all know that one of the qualities of the Filipino people is that being resilient. Just look at those smiling faces in light of tragic events. We bounce back. It is in our genes. for instance, we have many street children who survive hunger. They keep multiplying courtesy of irresponsible parents. LOL. NOw they are turning into hardened criminals because we have laws which say they could not be jailed if they commit crimes. We fight. We are all Manny Pacquiaos!

What I have here were editorial cartoons drawn during the last quarter of 2011. I was just too lazy to update this site these past months. So in a way, this is some sort of wholesale. Some issues that caught my attention included the tax scheme that would allegedly hit hardly the savings of labor sector. I have here three drawings on that topic. Well, visual ideas kept popping up in my mind, that is why. Many reacted to the scheme but it appears that the government, through the Bureau of Internal Revenues (BIR), is determined to slash those savings. Well, try to be in the shoes of the government facing fiscal problems.

Then I drew about the effort of Pnoy administration to prevent Congresswoman Gloria Macapagal Arroyo from leaving the country for a supposed medical appointment with a prestigious hospital in Singapore. PGMA was unlucky. Her wealth and influence did not matter under the Aquino government after she was charged with electoral fraud. Some talked about "karma" because it was under her administration that Erap Estrada was jailed for plunder charge. Hmm, I don't believe in "karma."  

One of my favorite topics is human rights. This is one of the countless cartoons I drew eversince the world began. Hehehe. HRD or December 10 is a memorable day for me. OK leave it to me. It was during this day, under the Cory Aquino  administration, how some armed morons sprayed on a peace protest in Davao City.  

Yearend reports reminded us how the country suffered from various tragedies in 2011. Major natural calamities were mind-boggling - we had landslides, flashfloods, etc. that claimed lives and properties. Guess, I mentioned this already. Anyways, by 2012, hope we can really have a good disaster preparedness plan. Let us say that it will be a bible for all communities to follow in a situation where a disaster i feared to occur. Then redefine the parameters like preparedness is not to act during the onslaught of a disaster but to act much ahead of a disaster. For instance, we already identified those flashflood-prone areas. So what is next?


See you in 2012!

0 comments:

ss_blog_claim=c3562d5e8148b278487327214007edb2