Friday, July 11, 2008

WTO / GATT

As a freelance graphic artist, there were occasions that I drew for various publications of Mindanao-based non-government organizations. Part of their information, education and campaign materials or publications discussed about the perceived ill-impact of 1995 World Trade Organization (WTO) that succeeded the general agreement of tariffs and trade (GATT) on underdeveloped countries or those so-called “third world countries.”


I visited the office of Alternate Forum for Resource in Mindanao (AFRIM) yesterday to submit a set of drawings they needed for their upcoming quarterly publication. I took a snapshot of a publication that carried my drawing displayed on the publication rack. AFRIM is an NGO engaged in various socioeconomic researches in Mindanao. The cartoon I drew was my interpretation of the negative impact of the free trade on the Philippines especially the farmers who cannot surely compete under a liberalized atmosphere that WTO’s agricultural agreement wanted to push improving market access and reduction of agricultural subsidies. The local farmers are ill-equipped in various endeavors of their crop production and they don’t have the necessary preparation to survive under this free trade as defined by the moneyed countries.


Tech-Tip


My adobe photoshop got corrupted and I could not possibly reinstall it because my CDrom was also out of service too. I wanted to crop the image but I could not do it because it was tilting to the left. To run around, I opened the CorelDraw and imported the image where I skewed it and invoked the capability of “printscreen” key and pasted it to the Paintbrush to crop it.

0 comments:

ss_blog_claim=c3562d5e8148b278487327214007edb2