Sunday, June 15, 2008

Deforestation Issue

I found this 2004 editorial cartoon from my cd files. It reminded me of the current environmental destruction that is blamed, more often, for flash floods affecting the lowlands.

Davao Oriental is one of the provinces with problem on rampant illegal logging activities happening right under the noses of the government agencies as alluded to in various newsreports. In this cartoon, I used the hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-see-no-evil monkeys to represent the DENR, LGU and PNP.

I remember that the issue did not die even until 2006. When worked as one of the Businessworld news correspondents, I wrote a news about it with the PNP and DENR XI as my sources.

Experts say we need at least 54% forest cover. But from the looks of our mountains today, I don't think we have this level. That is very sad.

0 comments:

ss_blog_claim=c3562d5e8148b278487327214007edb2